- Overall responsibility for the successful execution of the day to day management of the payroll function ensuring that all deadlines are met and in the most appropriate, efficient and effective manner
- Ensure that the payroll reporting meets the needs of both employees and the Finance function
- Adhere to best practices
- Manage the payroll team members including determining appropriate team structure and allocation of work
- Be responsible for ensuring that all the tax and other legislative matters relating to payroll are determined correctly and according to the relevant legislation (SARS, Department of Labour etc.)
- Skill transfer of payroll tax and legislation to your team and including upskilling on all aspects of payroll and payroll tax.
- Overall responsibility for the timely and accuracy all payroll related submissions (COID, IRP5, STATSA etc)
- Drive improvements to payroll process and systems in conjunction with People Operations department to improve the efficiency of the service to the business
- Engage with relevant internal and external stakeholders as it impacts the payroll function to manage risks and improve processes.
You will be responsible for reviewing all the work prepared by the payroll team including all sections of payroll payments (i.e. to staff and service providers)
Monitoring and review of contract preparation to ensure contracts are provided to the business in a timely and accurate manner and that any issues are identified and resolved up front
Review all accounting journal entries related to payroll
Review and provide appropriate commentary on marketing and management fees with regards to payroll related general ledger accounts through providing reasons for the monthly income file prepared by the business services team.
Reporting and analysis
You will prepare monthly payroll reconciliation report
You will prepare the monthly net pay recon that is reviewed by your manager and the HOD
You will prepare reports and analysis for the Directors meetings and strategy sessions reviewed by the HOD, board and leadership teams.
You will ensure that payroll tax submissions are on time and in line with legislation specifications and requirements.
You will prepare the detailed workings for the directors emoluments disclosure for the AFS for the various entities.
You will assist in responding to SARS on queries and audits in the payroll space.
Responsibilities + Skills
5 or more years in managing a payroll function.B com (preferably Finance)Relevant Certificates/Diploma in Payroll
Improving efficiency of payroll operationsManaging tax risk within payroll space
Must have knowledge of HR and payroll processesExcellent verbal and written communicationHigh customer levels and professional conduct