The position calls for a person who will provide technical underwriting expertise to assist the Regional Manager and Relationship Managers in managing their broker relationships at both a strategic and operational level with a clear focus on growth, profitability and efficiency in line with the Broker Services and Santam Commercial and Personal objectives.
The Technical Manager provides technical underwriting support for the Relationship managers and enables quicker decision-making when engaging with our intermediaries for new business quotes on larger risks, renewals and other technical queries.
- Provide technical underwriting expertise and advice for all Classes of Insurance
- Assist Relationship Managers in explaining complex underwriting principles and decisions to intermediaries.
- Balance growth and profit when making decisions by considering the supporting business and regional strategy.
- Analyse profitability of multi-claimants or renewal of individual policies and recommend corrective actions to Regional Managers and Relationship Managers
- Discuss proposed amendments to pricing models and new covers with specialist underwriters
- Manage, prepare (exception) complex and high value quotes and policy conversions
- When necessary, discuss and explain Risk Reduction Requirements (RRR) from survey reports and negotiate with brokers to obtain buy-in: escalate queries only if unable to resolve to Specialist Underwriters
Responsibilities + Skills
Intermediate Certificate in Business Studies (ICiBS)Higher Certificate in Insurance or equivalent ACII or FCII for Senior Technical Managers (advantageous)Bachelors degree or relevant insurance related diploma (advantageous for Senior Technical Managers)Drivers licence (requirement)
Grade 12 (Matric Certificate) qualification with acceptable pass markCertificate of Proficiency (CoP) or equivalent
8 years experience working in a commercial underwriting department assessing risks, determining pricing and terms across all classes of insurance (Property, Casualty and Motor)Computer literate (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint intermediated proficiency levels)Proven experience managing a team of people for Senior Technical Managers (advantageous)